Fire Department Employment
Firefighter/Paramedic recruitment process is now open!
The City of Moline conducts examinations at least every other year to establish a firefighter/paramedic eligibility register. During a specified period of time prior to testing, firefighter/paramedic applications are accepted online through the Employment section of this website.
Recruitment Reminder List
To be notified when firefighter/paramedic recruitments begin, complete a Job Notification.
For all other questions, call 309.524.2069 or email the Human Resources Office.
You do not need to be licensed as an EMT-Basic, EMT-Paramedic or Pre-Hospital RN to apply.
Applicants must be:
- citizens of the United States
- Have 20/20 correctable vision
- at least 20 years old (but shall not be appointed until reaching 21 years old)
- under 35 years of age with the following exceptions:
- If a person is placed on an eligibility list and becomes over-age before being appointed, the person remains eligible for appointment until the list is abolished.
- If a person was previously employed as a full-time firefighter in a regularly constituted fire department of (i) any municipality or fire protection district located in Illinois, (ii) a fire protection district whose obligations were assumed by a municipality under Section 21 of the Fire Protection District Act, or (iii) a municipality whose obligations were taken over by a fire protection district.
- If a person has served a municipality as a regularly enrolled volunteer, paid-on-call, or part-time firefighter for the five (5) years immediately preceding the time that the municipality begins to use full-time firefighters to provide all or part of its fire protection service.
- If a person who turned 35 while serving as a member of the active or reserve components of any of the branches of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard of any state, whose service was characterized as honorable or under honorable, if separated from the military, and is currently under the age of 40.
To be hired, candidates must:
- be licensed in the State of Illinois as an EMT-Basic or a registered nurse less than two (2) years from obtaining a pre-hospital RN license (up to 6 total in the department); or
- be licensed in the State of Illinois as an EMT-Paramedic or a pre-hospital RN
Candidates will be required to successfully complete qualification events as required by the Rules of the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners, such as a Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT), written examination, and oral interview in order to be placed on the eligibility registers for the position of firefighter/paramedic.